The Variation of Clitoral Hoods

Tue, 02/02/2016 - 12:35

I've pulled this post to the front page because it's one of our all time top content here on D&R.  It was originally published last September.  Women's vulvas are so unique and each more beautiful than the next.

This graphic charting the variation of clitoral hoods was posted on a tumblr blog Uncutting - it was created by a 22 year-old guy who's currently restoring his foreskin and opposed to infant circumcision.  He wondered whether clitoral hoods followed the same range in "coverage" as the Foreskin Coverage Index.  They did.

I never thought of the clitoral hood as being the vulva equivalent of the foreskin.  In our last bodysex workhsop during genital show & tell, one of the women had a very large and beautiful clitoral hood.  It was the largest hood I've ever seen.  I swear I could look at genitals all day.

Note that the fourth picture on the CI-1 level is of a woman who was the victim of FGM. They took her clitoral hood but left her clitoris and labia (thank god). Betty and I worked with a FGM survivor and they'd also cut her clitoral hood but left her clitoris intact. There are several types of FGM but we wonder how many women who think they've been mutilated actually have clitorises.

Thank you, Genevra, for the link.

Editor in Chief & Keeper of All Things Betty Dodson

That's really good

Mon, 05/13/2013 - 19:14

and just look at the range of colours too

clitoral equivalent

Tue, 05/14/2013 - 15:08

At the acroposthion website, the author suggests that the foreskin is the equivalent of the clitoris itself, not just the clitoral hood.

Prompted by CI for women

Thu, 05/23/2013 - 13:51

If a woman cannot retract her hood and expose the glans clitoris, she is still normal and can orgasm freely. But if she can move her hood up and down, covering and uncovering her glans, then she knows what intact men feel. Is this why so many women have become passionate opponents of male circumcision?
Closeups of the clitoris strike me as a 21st century thing made possible by the internet. Anybody with broadband at home can see tens of thousands of vulvas, starting with tumblr, in
privacy and without paying. This internet explicitness reveals that a few women have large and powerful clitorises that become erect in the male way. This clearly reveals that both men and women experience sexualdesire in similar ways.
The hood is most definitely the female analogue of the male foreskin. But there is another female part that plays a role similar to the foreskin: the labia minora. Like the foreskin, these cuddle the place where they pee and have sex. They are very sensitive during foreplay. They trap and spread natural lubrication. They move during intercourse. Women with ample labia are taking more and more pride in them, just as men are growing prouder of having foreskins. When I was a young man, no publication this side of the law would reveal the labia, but so many women have spread their legs with pride and satisfaction that they are now softcore. By the end of this century, many women will swim and enjoy the sun in the nude, indifferent to the fact that their vulvas are not concealed.

I love your post. I agree

Thu, 07/11/2013 - 15:51
L.F. (not verified)

I love your post. I agree that by the end of the century nudity will no longer be illegal.

CI-6

Fri, 02/28/2014 - 10:00

I defenlty am CI-6. I have a thick long hood. While receiving oral, he does pull it back and exposes my clit. Then rubs it,then will go down on me and suck and lick me hard. I love it. He says that his formor wife did not. Guess I am blessed that it is wonderful.

21st century is the century of clit triumphant

Wed, 06/24/2015 - 11:26

These images do not do justice to two facts: (1) some women can retract the hood to varying degrees, some cannot; (2) some women have visually prominent erections. A fair fraction of women who pose in Tumblr have quite prominent clitorises; I suspect that they are erect. I would not be surprised if some women finger themselves between images while doing explcit photo shoots. A surprising number of amateur women use the internet to reveal every bit of the vulva, including the clitoris. Most women who do this have faces that suggest strength and pride. One rarely sees giggling shame. For the first time in human history, the clitoris dares show its face to the world.

Well I just had to run and get a mirror....LOL!

Mon, 09/07/2015 - 17:44

Mine cannot be seen at all, total coverage like those on the bottom C-6. It sorta feels inset too...like what a guy would call an "innie" LOL? I wonder if the variation in clitoral hood has something to do with response to stimulation? Sort of like that guy in the widlerness who did a sex shop for couples...in Az. maybe. He went on describing some women are like the 'deer' run and get off quickly, and those are slow like the 'bear' who are slow to start. I wish I could find those analogies, saw them on an old HBO Real Sex issue. But his theory was based on how close the clit was situated to the vaginal opening, of course regulating the key reason of why some women get off qucker during intercourse than others, theory...cannot get away from PIV when it is a guy, even in research! LOL!

Interesting post...thats for putting this up, tres cool!

I'm a victim of FGM sadly

Tue, 12/29/2015 - 03:33
Anonymous1738 (not verified)

I'm a victim of FGM sadly they took my clitoral hood but thankfully I still have the rest.. I'm super uncomfortable with the fact my mom actually did that to me and I'm scared to get eaten out because guys might think I'm weird? I didn't even know I was circumcised until my mom told me and I've been weirded out with it ever since.

Explore

Tue, 12/29/2015 - 19:10

Anon 1738
You are a wonderful strong survivor. Please don't let this stop you exploring your body and sexuality with partners. We all have such strikingly different and unique vulvas that only a real jerk would even think to critique rather than celebrate your body, with or without the clitoral hood and those are the guys you should pass by anyway.

Fri, 02/05/2016 - 08:14
Bluesun876 (not verified)

I am a CI6 also. There was an old HBO real sex where they went to a retreat & the leader spoke of the different types of women. One of which being the Buffalo woman. She takes longer to get going, etc. I csnkot find it anywhere!

To Bluesun876

Fri, 02/19/2016 - 08:22

I am so glad somebody else saw that HBO Real Sex special with that nature guy and all the names for the different clitoral hoods! LOL! Too funny. It was sooooo long ago, I was starting to feel like a fossil.....sort of like what happened to me one day ---

I was at work and I said something about seeing an old Ed Sullivan Show, and the girl in the crowd that was together chatting, looked at me point blank with a vapid stare and said,
"Who the hell is Ed Sullivan?"

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New partner. I cant find clit (i dont think)

Fri, 03/18/2016 - 05:33
lostboy (not verified)

I have been with my mew partner for about 18 months. With past partners I have had little trouble finding the clit but my neww partner is different. There is no 'bean' as such but when aroused she has a hard ridge (up and down) that seens to be in the vestibule. She likes this rubbed but sometimes the directs my fingers much closer the the verginal opening that I would have considered 'fun spot'. She is a little difficult to bring to orgasm (about 1 in 4 attempts but improving) and orgasams are a little 'weak' and quick.
Guess I really looking for advice. May she just have an extra long hood?
Is it possible the clit is way down near the vagina?