Clitoral Hood Swollen & Can't Orgasm

Betty Dodson's picture
Fri, 10/17/2008 - 08:14
Submitted by Betty Dodson

In the past three years, I have developed a very annoying problem that has greatly interferred with my sexual relationship with my boyfriend. When my clitoris is touched either orally, manually or with a vibrator, the clitoral hood becomes swollen and covers my clitoris to the point where I can't achieve orgasm. I need the direct contact and am no longer getting It. Would a female circumcision help? I think it would....but what is the cause of the swelling. I never had it before. I am 55 and have not had a period for 4 years.

Thank You,

Dear S,

Let's clarify your genital anatomy. The clitoral glans (the tip of your clitoris) is covered with a hood to protect it from direct contact once it becomes erect. It is not swollen, you have a hard on! Yes, women have nearly as much erectile tissue as men. Check out the YouTube of me drawing the Internal Clitoris on the right hand side of our website. Then go to the section where I talk about "First Time Orgasm." Follow the part about doing a genital exam using a nice clean massage oil or an organic water-based lubricant like Sliquid Organics Natural Lube. You must use plenty of lubrication when stimulating your clitoris or doing vaginal penetration. This is especially true for postmenopausal women like us. 

Get my book Orgasms for Two and read it with your boyfriend. Nearly all of my private sessions with women struggling to enjoy orgasms is that most do not spend enough time stimulating their genitals. It's not unusual for many to need nearly an hour to have an orgasm. Meanwhile most men can get off in five minutes.

Under no circumstances would I recommend cutting away your clitoral hood. I would however, recommend spending more time massaging the entire clitoral area with additional lubrication while you watch in a mirror. Just remember, the swelling is most likely your erection. If not, then you might want to ask what is different now. Are you using condoms with water based lube? If so, you might be having an allergic reaction which would require experimenting with different products. If this continues, make an appointment to see your gynecologist.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.