The Most Effective Contraceptive

Fri, 06/06/2014 - 09:55

This chart is fascinating.  When Betty talked about vasectomies in our last video, we had a slew of comments questioning its effectiveness.

I had no idea that vasectomies and IUDs were more effective than the pill.  If I were 20 again, I would get an IUD, use condoms for casual sex, and choose one fluid-bonded partner.

Sex, Politics & More Sex

Contraception

Fri, 06/06/2014 - 13:44

Another way to avoid unwanted pregnancy is simply not to have penile-vaginal intercourse so often. Couples can enjoy oral sex, manual sex, and vibrators in all kinds of playful combinations, and have superior and more frequent orgasms for each partner as well as essentially no risk of pregnancy. Intercourse can be wonderful for bonding and sometimes for pleasure, but in our experience it's always accompanied by some anxiety about pregnancy, which can make it very difficult to relax, 'let go', and enjoy orgasm. And other forms of stimulation are in all honesty usually better at giving us those orgasms, too.

Where's the diaphragm?

Sat, 06/07/2014 - 23:39

Why isn't the diaphragm on this list? Seems an odd oversight to leave it off.

Diaphragm

Sat, 06/07/2014 - 23:43

I wondered the same thing, but I wasn't sure if the diaphragm was assumed to be what was used along with the spermicide.

Big Pharma doesn't make any money from diaphragms and the

Betty Dodson's picture
Wed, 06/11/2014 - 10:24

medical professionals only get paid one time for the initial fitting. Back in the seventies Bodysex workshops, women complained that lovers could feel the rim of their diaphragm. I'd had the same problem when I was first fitted for one. At the time, I had a small neighborhood drugstore and the guy in charge became my friend. When I discussed my problem he suggested I take a couple smaller ones home and try them on. I'd been fitted with a size 70 but discovered that  65 was best.

Then I saw the humor; when it comes to putting something inside any vagina, bigger wiould always be better (according to most men's thinking about penis size). So I bought a lot of different sizes and during a workshop if the diaphragm issue came up, I'd re-fit a woman so that when she had intercourse, lover boy wouldn't feel the rim. Then a friend urged me to stop practicing medicine w/o a liscense because a West Coast Self-help woman had been arrested for doing the same. Years later when Carol Downer and I met, we both had a good laugh over our bold actions and we also congratulated each other for our bravery or foolishnes depending upon your POV.

Diaphragms as affordable

Wed, 06/11/2014 - 11:47

The diaphragm was always my wife's method when she still needed contraception; it was fitted by her gynecologist, a woman, and it was always effective. It was the simplest option, plus the pill wasn't possible because of my wife's chronic health problems. I always felt honored by my partner's trust because she preferred me to do the insertion. As far as fitting a diaphragm being 'practicing without a license', I wasn't aware it took a medical degree to do a simple fitting. Couldn't a nurse or other knowledgeable person do it as well, for example?

By the way, when did the word 'intercourse' go from being a general term for 'mutual contact' as it was still used in the 19th century ('social intercourse'), to being a euphemism for 'male-female sexual relations' and finally make the transition to being exclusively the polite, preferred term for 'having PIV sex'?

Another Omission

Sun, 06/15/2014 - 22:03
Anonymous13 (not verified)

They have also omitted tubal ligation from the list, despite including vasectomy.