Boys Who Masturbate More Likely to Practice Safe Sex

Tue, 09/06/2011 - 16:30

We know that the more young boys masturbate the healthier their prostate but that's just the beginning. Young boys who masturbate - who are sexually self-aware - are more likely to wear a condom.

A new study (supported by Trojan condom maker Church & Dwight Co) found that 86 percent of boys who said they'd worn a condom last time they had sex also reported masturbating over the past year, compared to only 44 percent of boys who didn't masturbate.

While that link doesn't prove that masturbation itself leads to safer sex, "the association of any behavior with increased condom use deserves further investigation, given the rates of unintended pregnancies and sexually transmitted infections in adolescents," the report says.

Unfortunately, there's no link between masturbation and safe sex for girls. But I think the focus should be on young boys to use condoms. It's much easier for them to buy the right size and practice putting one on since they have the penis.

Just think about it....sexually active boys who masturbated were about eight times as likely to have used a condom during their last intercourse as boys who didn't masturbate.

Maybe masturbation should be taught in sex ed. Maybe that's why we have the hightest teen pregnancy and std rate among industrialized nations.

Betty's a genius.

Editor in Chief & Keeper of All Things Betty Dodson

Boys who view their bodies

Wed, 09/07/2011 - 14:57

Boys who view their bodies and their sexuality with respect, acceptance, and open enjoyment are much more likely to view their partners with respect and acceptance, and to have an equal concern for their partner's pleasure. I would personally support teaching self-pleasuring in sex ed---along, of course, with teaching sensitivity and respect. When I was a kid, I was threatened with Hell when I discovered masturbation. You can imagine how comfortable I was with sexuality when I first became interested in girls---and I'm sure this is exactly what the Catholic Church intended. We really do need to stop tormenting kids with negative, guilt-ridden messages about their normal, healthy sexual drives. We must be one of the most anti-sexual, fearful societies on earth. Children who are raised with a loving, positive view of themselves and of sexuality are the ones who will be attentive, respectful, and caring towards others.

I agree Patrick

Wed, 09/07/2011 - 19:53

It took me years to get over the guilt associated with masturbation. I'm trying to be more accepting of my children than my parents were of me.

That's great, Heylin

Wed, 09/07/2011 - 23:24

You did well overcoming your guilt---believe me, I know how tough it is. Your children are lucky to have a parent who remembers her own childhood, and who is giving her kids more of what she wished she could have had when she was their age.

Thanks Patrick

Thu, 09/08/2011 - 19:18

Sometimes I get chided for being a bit too liberal but all in all I'm trying my best.

Survey accuracy

Sat, 09/10/2011 - 05:12

I wonder if there also quite a bit of "misleading" of the researchers in this survey. I find it hard to believe that in a group of 410 boys (the other 410 were girls I assume) that there is any statistically significant sample size of boys who are NOT masturbating but ARE having sex. But I reckon that quite a few could find themselves drawn to be misleading both about HAVING sex and about NOT masturbating, even if the survey was anonymous.
Edit: Wording clarified I hope. FC

Good point Fond Care

Sat, 09/10/2011 - 15:38

410 is a very small sample size. When I go to Big Pharma corporate sponsored talks, I always pay attention to the sample size of a study. I definitely notice when a study with 400 participants is compared to another study with over 20 thousand participants. What Mark Twain said was true, there are lies, damned lies and statistics. However, judging from the anecdotal evidence from the young women who masturbate and are holding off from partner sex, I would argue that there is a grain of truth in this study.

Not proof, but plausible

Sun, 09/11/2011 - 11:09

This survey was published in a peer-reviewed, reputable journal. As the authors point out, masturbation is "highly stigmatized" in our titillating but sex-and-pleasure-phobic culture. I would not be surprised if some kids felt more comfortable admitting they have intercourse than admitting they masturbate. The social and religious messages that virtually all American kids are likely to have received have shamed them about their sexual self-exploration. Masturbation is a necessary, beneficial, and entirely normal part of human sexual development, yet it's treated as something awful by the punitively religious. I do personally think it's very likely that young people who are self-caring and comfortable with their bodies are also likely to be considerate of their partners and to be generally more responsible about their sexuality.

It does a body good

martiB's picture
Thu, 10/27/2011 - 14:19

I couldn't agree more! The best, most responsible lovers I had all started masturbating early and often.  I've seen so many articles on the benefits for boys and Betty has always been an inspiration.  I have always been an avid masturbator myself so when I discovered my step son masturbating, I complimented and encouraged him to continue rather than scold him. From age 15, I provided him with lubricant, condoms, and a safe encouraging place where he could explore his body without shame or retribution.  I believe this is why we could talk about sex so openly. He discovered he enjoyed masturbating and even mutual masturbation with friends. He and some male friends would always came to our home for this because they knew they didn't have to hide it.  He enjoyed this fully all through highschool.
He was also enjoying intercourse with a girlfriend during his junior and senior years but always made sure to wear a condom.  He's sexually strong and open but very responsible thanks to masturbation.

Martha

Thanks, Martha

Fri, 10/28/2011 - 03:42

I wish I'd had a parent or stepparent as understanding as you when I was an adolescent. My parents were good people, but badly damaged by the same ugly, threatening Catholic doctrines that hurt me when I was a child. It would have made all the difference in the world to have a caring, appropriate adult affirm my sexuality as fundamentally good and positive---something to celebrate and be proud of.

Times are changing- masturbation required in college class

Thu, 12/01/2011 - 12:09
MarthaB (not verified)

Patrick,
Thanks for you reply.  Sadly, you're not alone and I truely wish you had had a helping hand.  I have heard similar regrets from so many others which is perhaps another reason I wanted to parent differently. Fortunately, times are changing.
In Britain, and most of europe it is encouraged and even a right- look up the GB health brocure where they state the right and importance of "an orgasm a day".
Most colleges now teach masturbation in their sexuality courses and some even require it in homework and research assignments. Western Nevada College was just in the news for this.
After 7 years and hundreds of students, it was not until a 60 year old grandmother took the course that it became a problem.  She is about the age of my mom now, so it is really just a generational thing.
<http://www.rgj.com/article/20111116/NEWS/111116024/Western-Nevada-College-student-files-complaint-over-sexuality-class>
You can't make up those lost years and the impact that might have had-  I know how important it is starting early and ejaculating often is for the health of a man's prostate and sexual response.  But you can work to do attend to your needs better for the future and support the next generation.
martheb123@yahoo.com

Times are changing---fantastic

Tue, 12/13/2011 - 01:03

Martha, thanks again for your response. I'm delighted that things are finally changing. 'An orgasm a day' sounds like a nice minimum standard! The going is still tough in the United States, however, with a 'religious right' that is fanatically opposed to sensibly discussing, let alone encouraging, that perfectly normal, healthy part of growing up called masturbation. They just can't seem to stand the thought that young people are sexual all their lives; I'm sure some of them try to beat it out of their kids, as my mother symbolically did when she crammed a bar of soap into my mouth when I was 7.

Do most colleges really teach masturbation in their sexuality courses now? Not just the fact that there is such a thing, but that it's a positive and healthful practice, and how to do it? Wonderful, if so!

I believe the battle will be won, because encouraging self-pleasuring is in keeping with healthy human development, and more and more of us are realising that fact. I had to go off to college before I was able to question the way my barely budding sexuality had been trampled on by sadistic Catholic doctrine. But I was able to reconnect with sexuality eventually. And I began to give appropriate, accurate information to some of my younger siblings when they seemed to need it, because I knew they'd never get it from our parents or from church. Best wishes---thanks for the kind words.

Yes- very common now- sales of vibrators are way up

martiB's picture
Fri, 12/16/2011 - 12:38

Patrick,
You're so cute. Your siblings were lucky to have you as a mentor in this area and I'm sure they are enjoying the many benefits of good sexual health.  Actually, masturbation devices will soon be as ubiquitous as mobile phones according to industry sales trends and sales have been increasing every year. Sales is the one of the best indicators of reality when it comes to our daily routines and lifestyles.
I think it's kind of a self-fullfilling trend. Like most women, I find a vibrator to be great encouragement to masturbate more.  I myself discovered masturbation easier and more satisfying after I got my first vibrator and I started masturbating more often and wanting, different vibrators.  My best girlfriend was introduced to one when she was in her teens by her aunt.  She daid it helped her discover and develop her orgasm early and become an avid masturbator and vibrator collector.  As more women try them, demand strengthens as much as our orgasm ;o)
A New York Times/CBS market research poll in 2009 found that sales of sexual-enhancement devices were sky-rocketing in the recession. This year vibrator sales are very strong for women shoppers.

This year a report just came out that that trend has continued and annual sales are expected to exceed that of cell phones within the decade... driving and texting may not be the only problem we will have then ;o)
This was in a recent Cosmopolitan article:

Marti

Vibrator sales---a good omen

Fri, 12/16/2011 - 21:05

Hi Marti,
Thank you. Your stats on vibrator purchase are an eye-opener, and a very encouraging trend. I can totally understand how you'd love vibrators. My wife and I have a 'collection', too! Some vibrators designed for women (some of the Lelo and bullet ones in particular) work extremely well for men as well. You just have to be a bit creative and find the right technique. Reading about your best girlfriend's being introduced to vibrators by her aunt reminds me that not all families are as repressed as the one I grew up in---thank God.

Being in health care, I check out professional journals sometimes. There were two articles about vibrator use a couple of years ago that appeared in The Journal of Sexual Medicine---one about women and another about men, with very similar findings. The researchers found that vibrator use in the US is very common---about 53% of women and 44% of men. Pretty much half of us! It turns out that folks who masturbate and use vibrators are doing much more than just enjoying themselves. Most feel they have better partner sex, too. And vibrator use among both women and men is strongly associated with a wide variety of positive sexual self-care behaviours. In other words, masturbation and vibrator use are very smart things to do! They feel wonderful and are great for both us and our relationships. Now what could be better than that?

Patrick

Teaching and Encouraging masturbation rather than repressing it

Sat, 08/18/2012 - 04:09
Trevor (not verified)

I was taught how to masturbate from the very young age while playing by a friend even before I was old enough to ejaculate. It was just something fun and daring. I envied his ejaculation and wished for it so badly. I was grateful when it finally happened. I think I was 11. But it was not until I got a paper route at 15 that I really got educated and encouraged. Delivering the daily paper, I met many people, one of which was a nice gentleman who I'll never forget. He knew a lot about these things and knew what I was going through. Everyday after school I when I would deliver his paper And stop in, not for tea but for a wonderful ejaculation. He would guide my hands while I masturbated and introduced me to masturbation sleeves for the day I would need more.

He encouraged me to practice before sleep and then in the mornings also. But it was mutual masturbation session with him after school that I enjoyed the most.
My step dad actually walked in on me masturbating many times but was cool about it. He too was supportive and even bought me my own masturbation sleeve in show of support.
After a year of that I was hooked and glad of it.
Knowing that there is no shame in masturbation allowed me to reconcile this and look back without shame. It helps me appreciate the experience and remember back to it with an erection. I would frankly not be the masturbator and ample ejaculator I am today without the guidance of those wise hands so long ago. I am a healthy hetero with a good job and enjoy's frequent intercourse with my girlfriend we both masturbate whenever the urge and opportunity arises. I have always used condoms or kept it external with hand and toys. If only we could all be guided in this way g

Masturbation and boundaries

Sat, 08/18/2012 - 19:59

Trevor, while I agree that masturbation is positive and should be discussed frankly and in very positive terms with young people, it's also a private practice, especially for a child or teenager. Teens may masturbate with their peers sometimes. However, having an adult involve himself or herself directly in a young person's sexuality is simply wrong. I'm glad you don't seem to have been personally harmed  by your experiences, but I hope you realize that the process of sexual self-exploration and discovery should be up to children and teens themselves, without adult interference.